Disclosure: This conversation is sponsored by 23andMe. All thoughts are my own.
Back in October, I celebrated women’s wellness with Babblebox that included a 23andMe DNA test. I’ve always had questions about my ancestry, I wanted to know where I came from. I don’t know much about the ancestral makeup of my family on either side, or the things that make me who I am since I have a not so great relationship with the people on my father’s side of the family, and my most of my mother’s family is not close in proximity to us. Here are 23 things about me that I discovered thanks to 23andMe!
The 23andme kit comes equipped with everything you need to take a saliva sample, including a label to ship it back off to the lab.
While you wait for your sample to be analyzed, they ask health questions (totally optional) to get more insight into who you are. The site also keeps you updated on the entire analyzation process, so you know what they are doing with your sample always. Then one day, out of nowhere, you will receive an email that your report is ready! Here are 23 things about me that I discovered thanks to 23andMe!
1I am 68.2% West African
2. I am 23.9% European
3. I am 1.5% East Asian and Native American
4. I can digest lactose like a champ
5. I prefer savory snacks
6. My maternal lineage descends from Coastal Western Africa
7. I’m not likely to be able to smell the asparagus metabolite in my pee
8. I have fewer Neanderthal variants than 99% of 23andMe customers
9. I break down alcohol normally
10. I’m likely to consume slightly more caffeine than your average person
11. Based on my DNA, I have fast twitch muscles, so I’d do well as a sprinter
12. I have little to no unibrow (duh, I know)
13. I am not likely to have a widow’s peak
14. I am likely to have straight or wavy hair (but I don’t)
15. I was likely to be born with lots of hair (all my children were born with full heads of hair as well)
16. I am likely to have a longer ring finger than index finger (correct!)
17. Per my DNA, I am likely to have darker skin (But I don’t)
18. Also, I am not likely to have lots of freckles (But I do)
19. I am likely to have wet earwax (lol)
20. I am likely to have dark colored eyes (correct!)
21. I am likely to have detached earlobes
22. I am likely to have a longer big toe than my second toe (I don’t)
23. I do not carry the genes of any rare genetic disorders (yay)
It was interesting, to say the least. I had no idea the consistency of your earwax was a genetic trait. 23andMe predicted a few things that were not correct, like my freckles, my skin tone, my toes, and my hair’s curl pattern. While a few of the trait profiles were not accurate, 23andMe claims the ancestry profile is accurate. Ancestry percentages are derived from their system that provides you with ancestry estimates down to the 0.1%.