Disclosure: I received a press sample of the entire collection, all thoughts are my own. Contains affiliate links
Hey girl! You with the really large pores! I’m sorry if that came off very rude, but your large pores bother you as much as my pores bother me. Once upon a time, in an era that I don’t even remember, I had perfect skin. With age, comes aging skin and mine has came in the form of pores. So what gives? How do you get rid of pores?
What are pores?
Pores are tiny little opening on the body and they do one of two things:
1. They house hairs
2. They produce sebum
Some people get large pores and some do not, just blame genetics on that.
Why are they so noticeable?
There are many different reasons pores go from looking like tiny little holes to huge craters. One, if you love the sun but hate sunscreen, UV rays weaken collagen, making pores look larger. Two, dead skin cells, dirt and sebum get trapped in pores, which causes pimples and this stretches pores out. Once the acne is gone, you are left with larger pores. (source)
How do I make them look smaller?
You cant make them look smaller per say, but you can draw attention off them by simply keeping your face clean and free of dirt and oil and dead skin cells. In other words, you want to make exfoliation your best friend, and use products that will visibly reduce the look of pores.
Neutrogena Pore Refining Collection
Neutrogena create a line of products to shrink the look of pores with four products that primarily do two things:
- Penetrates deep to remove dirt, oil and makeup that can enlarge pores.
- Sweeps away dead surface skin and smoothes over rough, uneven patches
So I was given a challenge test this product line exclusively for seven days, give my foundation a day off, and take a makeup free selfie, showing off my new poreless skin! I tested everything out and here’s what I think about the line:
There are two things that you should know about the line before I get deep into sharing my thoughts about the individual products. Every product in the line contains Alpha (AHA) and Beta (BHA) Hydroxy. It contains AHA, so please follow up with a moisturizer of some sort, SPF 35 or better. AHA increases your skin’s sensitivity to the sun, and that could cause more damage.
Also, there are a lot of drying agents in every product included in the Pore Refining line, so please follow up with a good deep moisturizer or moisturizing oil. I used Organic Bath Co. Enhance Face Oil. Your face will be free from debris and well exfoliated, your moisturizer will absorb deeper and you will find that your skin is softer than ever.
Now on to the products:
- Neutrogena Pore Refining Exfoliating Cleanser– This is the exfoliator out of the bunch. It has the texture of a cream cleanser with tiny exfoliating particles to smooth the skin. The particles are gentle, but they have the potential to be rough (which I prefer), if you use more pressure to exfoliate. The scent of this cleanser is very light and not overpowering.
- Neutrogena Pore Refining Daily Cleanser– You may need the exfoliator, you may not, but you will need this cleanser in your arsenal. It takes on the task of removing everyday dirt and oil. I use this once in the morning and again before bed to remove everything the day has put on my face. It’’ rinses clean and leaves my face soft.
- Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner– One of the most important and forgotten steps to perfect skin is toning. Sometimes, your facial cleanser is not able to get all the dirt and oil, and this is where toner comes into play. Neutrogena’s Pore Refining Toner contains Witch Hazel, Glycolic Acid, Aloe, Peppermint Leaf Extract and Castor oil that will get rid of anything left on your face. It’s cool and refreshing!
- Neutrogena Pore Refining Moisturizer– This tiny tube packs a big punch of AHA and BHA to moisturize the skin and make pores appear smaller. I did not find this moisturizer efficient enough to keep my face hydrated all day, which is why I used another moisturizer too. It could be the toner which has the ability to dry out the skin, and the moisturizer is just not strong enough to compensate for that lack of moisture. But if you have oily skin, you shouldn’t have a problem.
After 7 days of washing, exfoliating, toning and moisturizing with the Pore Refining line, my face is softer, smoother, and my pores look visible smaller, especially in my cheek area where pores are a major problem for me.