Listen, I’ve been a Natural for over three years now and let me just say I’ve tried it all! I’m a born again Product Junkie and I’ve learned what my hair loves and which products I can completely snub. Here are the top five best products for those of us with 4B-C textured hair.
1. Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar: Sometimes a puff is more then enough, not all of us have time to sit in the mirror and twist, bun or flat iron. Oyin Handmade Burnt Sugar is great pomade that has a soft hold and an amazing smell. Want your puff to last all day without your edges taking on a life of their own? Give it a try, I promise you won’t be disappointed.
2. Carols Daughter Monoi Repairing Shampoo: One thing that a Natural doesn’t like to see is breakage. Anytime a piece of hair falls out we frantically look to see if there is a white bulb on the end so we can assure ourselves it’s “shed” hair and not breakage. Stop the paranoia start treating your hair to some strand strengthening Monoi Oil. Not only is this a sulfate free shampoo but it also undo’s and prevents breakage by 96%. I use this whenever I do anything drastic to my hair… you know like sleep without a satin bonnet.
3. Hairveda Sitrinillah Deep Conditioner: All Deep Conditioners are not made equal The Hairveda Sitrinillah Deep Conditioner is amazing after a protein treatment. I use this product after all Henna Treatments or whenever I feel like my hair just needs a little extra TLC. This product contains nourishing Orange Oil that penetrates deep down and treats lifeless brittle hair. I always add a little heat and my hair comes out super soft.
4. ECCO Styler Gel: No hair product collection would be complete without some type of Gel. Ecco Styler Gel is one of the many loves of my life. Kind of like ice cream it comes in several different flavors such as Morrocan Argan Oil and Olive Oil. Instead of 32 scoops you can get 320z for as low as $2.99. I love to mix this gel with different butters when I’m doing twist and want them to last for a couple of weeks. No flakes and very little crunch, I make sure to always have this on hand!
5. Oils: Coconut, Argan, Grape Seed, Apricot, Jojoba and Ayurvedic Oils just to name a few. Essential oils contain specific therapeutic properties and the key is to find the one that works best for you. Oils can be used to enhance your deep conditioners, seal or moisturize your hair. Remember as with most natural hair products a little goes a very long way. I apply a concoction of oils at least once a week to help maintain healthy, shiny hair.
About the Author:
Melody Robinson Wright lives a double life, during the day she’s a PhD student At Drexel University College of Medicine, but as soon as night falls she morphs into a lip poppin, eye shadow swatching, nail lacquer hunting, beauty editor at Cosmetically-Challenged.com. She’s a southern gal, trapped in the North East, and is not afraid to use words like “ya’ll” “fixin to” and “finna”. In her non existent spare time she is also a Beauty Product Reviewer for The Style and Beauty Doctor and is admin of the Facebook group “The Beauty Blogazons”. Her motto is “Beauty Rules are so Faux Pas”, and she lives her life according to her what makes her happy. When she’s not blogging about beauty or making scientific discoveries you can find her running a trail or hanging out with her husband and two spoiled dogs.