This post is sponsored by Neutrogena, all thoughts are my own.
Labor Day is not only the day that we pay tribute to the American Worker’s Union, but it is also the unofficial end of summer. That means we will tuck away the swimsuits and flip flops and replace them with cardigans and stylish ankle boots. So while you fold up the beach towels and summer wave spray, there’s one thing you shouldn’t put away- sunscreen.
Whether you live in Wisconsin or Mississippi, or it’s summer or winter, the sun’s rays are harsh. The sun produces two types of ultraviolet rays- UVA and UVB. UVA rays cause premature aging and wrinkles, UVB rays cause damage to the skin’s surface (sunburn); both have the potential to cause skin cancer. And yes, black parents, we can get skin cancer, and so can our babies. Melanin does not provide full protection from the sun, the SPF for darker skin tones is low, providing minimal protection. It’s one of the reasons I decided to partner with Neutrogena and the #MimicMommy campaign, to spread the word that black people can get skin cancer too. According to the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, Caucasian people have a higher incidence of melanoma, but it is deadlier in people of color. African American patients were most likely to be diagnosed with melanoma in later stages, which reduces survival rate (source).
So, let’s have a talk with our kids about sun safety, and introduce you to some essential products from Neutrogena, to keep you protected from the sun this Labor Day. Just because summer is coming to end, it does not mean that it’s time to put away the sunscreen. Here are two sunscreen lines from Neutrogena that are great for the entire family:
Neutrogena Beach Defense
Neutrogena Beach Defense provides superior skin protection and clinically proven to defend the signs of sun damage. Thanks to HELIOPLEX Technology, the sunscreen forms a UVA/UVB barrier that is water resistant for up to 80 minutes, lightweight, fast absorbing, oil free and PABA free. Neutrogena Beach Defense products include:
- Neutrogena® Beach Defense® Water + Sun Protection Sunscreen Stick Broad Spectrum SPF 50+; $10.49
- Neutrogena® Beach Defense® Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 30; $9.49
- Neutrogena® Beach Defense® Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 70; $10.49
- Neutrogena® Beach Defense® Sunscreen Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 30; $9.49
- Neutrogena® Beach Defense® Sunscreen Spray Broad Spectrum SPF 70; $10.49
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer, the most awarded sunscreen ever, feels clean and light, goes on easily and absorbs quickly for an invisible, weightless feel on your skin. It leaves a matte finish and won’t clog pores. Most importantly, it gives the skin all the protection you need.
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer products include:
- Neutrogena Dry Touch Lotion, $12.99
- Neutrogena Body Mist, $10.99
- Neutrogena Daily Liquid, $12.99
- Neutrogena Face & Body Stick, $10.99
Quick sun care tips
- Seek shade between 10 am and 4 pm if possible
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and UV-blocking shades for extra protection
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher
- Apply 2 tablespoons of sunscreen 30 minutes before going outside.
- Keep babies under 6 months out of the sun
- See your physician yearly for a skin exam
Follow the directions in the Instagram post below. Good luck!
Labor Day is not only the day that we pay tribute to the American Worker's Union, but it is also the unofficial end of summer. That means we will tuck away the swimsuits and flip flops and replace them with cardigans and stylish ankle boots. So while you fold up the beach towels and stash away the summer wave spray, there's one thing you shouldn't put away- sunscreen. New on the blog, I share some essential suncare tips, introduce you to two of the best suncare lines from @neutrogena, and give away everything you see here to three lucky peeps! That means there's enough for you, family AND friends! ——————– Here's how to enter: Follow @heyaprill on Instagram| Tell me about your sun care habits- do you use SPF? Why or why not?| Tag a friend you would share your winnings with! ⠀⠀ Tag as many friends as you want for extra entries. ——————– Ends 9/18/2017; USA only; This #contest is not affiliated with Instagram⠀ ——————–