Back in January, Today Food published an article stating that avocado oil was the new coconut oil. This was a really good read from a foodie perspective, but it got me thinking, what about beauty? Could avocado oil be as beneficial, when applied topically, as it is when ingested? I guess we will find out + discover 7 ways to use avocado oil in your beauty routine.
What is avocado oil?
Avocado oil is an edible oil pressed from the avocado, found in Mexico and Central America (though they are being grown in other places these days). It is a versatile oil that can be used for cooking, lubrication (HEH) and cosmetics.
Avocado oil is as healthy as olive, coconut, or almond oil, but more expensive.
While avocado oil is not as high on the comedogenic scale as coconut oil, it is a 2, which means this oil still has the potential to cause acne. Use with caution. But, if you use olive oil on your face, avocado oil may be ok as well (they have the same rating).
***Check out the entire rating scale here.***
What are the benefits?
- Excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids
- High in vitamins A, D and E
- Penetrates the skin, but is also occlusive
- Rich in oleic acid to heal the skin
- High in sterolin, which softens the skin and reduces age spots
7 ways to use avocado oil
- Soothe sunburn by applying one teaspoon of avocado oil to the affected area
- Moisturize the scalp and stimulate growth using avocado oil by mixing 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and 3 tablespoons of Jamaican Black Castor oil. Warm up the oil (never microwave) and apply warm oil to wet hair. Massage into the scalp and apply a plastic cap. Deep condition by leaving on the hair for an hour or longer (you can even leave on overnight). Remove the cap and rinse. Style as normal.
- Treat damaged and frizzy hair by applying a few drops of avocado oil to their hair. This will also add shine to the hair.
- Reduce itching and inflammation associated with eczema by applying oil to damp skin after a bath
- Moisturize your hands by mixing 1 tablespoon of avocado oil and 2 tablespoons of finely ground sugar and gently rub into hands for 5 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Oil cleanse the skin with avocado oil by mixing 2 tablespoons of avocado oil with 2 tablespoons of castor oil. Massage into the skin for 2 minutes (or exfoliate using your Luna) and rinse. Follow up with your normal skin care routine.
- Massage avocado oil into your nails and cuticles for stronger and healthier nails.
Where to buy + what to look for
Avocado oil is widely available these days. It’s on Amazon as cheap as $4.99 here, and as high as $519.95 here, but is moderately priced at 17 bucks for a quart. You can also find it on The Vitamin Shoppe at an average of 8 bucks a bottle.
Do you use avocado oil? How do you use it in your beauty routine?