So I learned something tonight on Twitter-some my followers have no idea what a raincheck is or how it works.
@GlitteryGlossy what’s a rain check?
— Yves (@MNYves) May 31, 2015
— Fatniss Collardgreen (@lexxaye) May 31, 2015
@GlitteryGlossy how does that work?
— Fina Voss™ (@PoeticHeroin) May 31, 2015
It is late Saturday evening which means that it’s time for new ad circulars to be released in the morning (Ad circulars are released every Sunday) and SheaMoisture is about to end an epic BOGO free promotion. You? You learned about the sale too late. Once you hit up the store, everything was sold out. You are probably lost, angry, upset and waiting on the next sale to hit which could be weeks. So what do you do? You get a raincheck, that’s what. By definition, a raincheck is a coupon issued to a customer by a store, guaranteeing that a sale item that is out of stock may be purchased by that customer at a later date at the same reduced price. I know all about rainchecks thanks to hanging out with my now deceased Aunt. She would angrily go to customer service to get a raincheck at the local grocery store. Lucky for us, this hidden gem is also available at more than a few national chains. Below, I have listed every brand that I’m familiar with, and their raincheck policy. Enjoy!
- They expire after 60 days
- Are to be honored at the sale price shown on the Rain check, even if the item is purchased after the sale period
- Are to be honored at all Walgreens Drug Stores regardless of which location issued the Rain check.
- Should be issued when an out-of-stock item situation occurs during a sale period and if a suitable or satisfactory substitute cannot be found
- They do not raincheck register rewards
- Rainchecks do not expire
- The raincheck will extend the CVS/pharmacy coupon expiration date. Both the CVS/pharmacy coupon and raincheck must be presented at time of purchase. The raincheck will be attached to the CVS/pharmacy coupon by store personnel.
- CVS/pharmacy cannot accept a third party manufacturer coupon after it has expired, but if the coupon is within date range, it can be honored in combination with the raincheck
- Rainchecks are only offered for regularly carried merchandise if a substitute item is not available.
- Rite Aid will issue rain checks for items that are out of stock.
- The raincheck will include the sale price and the quantity of the items you intended to purchase.
- Some rainchecks expire in 30 days but some stores give some without expiration dates. Ask before you leave with the raincheck.
- If an advertised item is out-of-stock at your Walmart, upon your request, they will issue a raincheck.
- “While Supplies Last” items, “Bonus” items, items identified as being available in limited quantities, and items that are not carried at your Walmart do not qualify for rainchecks. This should be noted in the ad (sometimes on a flyer’s back page) but you can check with your local store if you’re unsure about a specific product.
- Target will issue rainchecks on out-of-stock items, except gift card promotions.
- You can receive your raincheck at customers service.
- Target rainchecks expire 45 days after issue and are good on the item stated, unless otherwise noted.
- Rainchecks are good on substitute items if you see the text “choose a substitute” at the bottom. With substitute item rainchecks, you can select a similar, regular-priced item and get the same percent discount.
- Ulta will issue a raincheck on any item that they normally carry, but this does not include promotional items or sets because they are not restocked. I will update with expiration dates and more details in a few days.
Sephora does not issue rainchecks
Other things to remember:
- Make sure the person issuing the raincheck puts the sale price or current promotional price on the slip, especially in BOGO 50%, free, Buy two get two free deals to avoid paying higher prices in the future. That SheaMoisture may be $10.99 this week, and $12.99 the next. Save yourself a few dollars.
- Some stores only allow the manager to write rainchecks. Make sure the right person writes it, or it may not be honored.
- Watch the expiration dates. Some last forever, others do not.
- Rainchecks should always include any rewards with the item if applicable. This includes bonus points and gift cards.
@GlitteryGlossy Bless you our magnificent Fairy Glam Mother!
— Cookie! (@sawngbyrd28) May 31, 2015