It’s no fun getting old, but it doesn’t have to feel like a big pain, either. The secret to feeling better as you age is to learn to feel more confident with the natural changes that are taking place. No one expects you to look twenty, but that doesn’t mean you have to resign yourself to frumpy clothes and purple hair. Check out some of these good tricks for playing up your natural beauty as you age:
Take care of your skin.
For many people, wrinkles, crows’ feet, and the natural blemishes that come from aging can be a source of embarrassment. The most important thing about taking care of your skin is that you keep it healthy. As you’ll likely see, when you do this, you’ll end up getting rid of or preventing the development of some of those wrinkles and blemishes.
- Be sure you remember to put on sunscreen first thing in the morning every single day, even if you expect to spend the day inside. Aging skin doesn’t deal with the sun as well as young skin, so it’s very important that you take care of your skin, not only to keep it looking good, but to protect yourself from dangers of the sun. Use about a tablespoon of 50 SPF on your face, ears, and neck every morning.
- Keep your skin happy with a gentle scrub in the shower. Use a gentle store-bought body scrub that does not use microbeads, or make your own with a base of sugar, Epsom salt, or oatmeal.
- Treat your hands with the same care you give your face. Use a gentle scrub on them each day, moisturize them, and use sunscreen.
- Use gentle makeups that won’t clog your pores but that will provide some additional SPF. This way, even if you forget to put on sunscreen in the morning, you’ll still get a little protection from your makeup.
- Make sure you take off your makeup before going to bed at night. Use an effective but gentle remover and then rinse your face to remove everything. This will prevent your pores from clogging.
- Start using a retinoid. It will boost your absorption of vitamin D, which has benefits for the skin. It helps you build new collagen as you sleep, but you will need to work up towards your regimen in a slow and careful way as it can be very finicky to use.
- Take good care of your teeth. Make sure you are going to the dentist as recommended (once every six months). If you have been long avoiding addressing any dental problems you may have, now is the time to address them. For example, you can consider correcting crookedness with Invisalign. You may think it’s too late to care about these issues, but things as simple as straightening can make your teeth and gums healthier as you age, preventing gum disease or unnecessary loss of teeth.
It can be easy to lose track of how our daily habits contribute in a cumulative way to our aging. It never seems that one more drink or one cigarette can do much, but when it becomes habitual, it becomes a problem. Here are some of the most important takeaways when considering changing your lifestyle habits to make your aging process go more gently.
- Give up smoking as soon as possible. Smoking dramatically ages you prematurely, both internally and externally. While your skin, teeth, and hair will lose strength and age quickly, your internal organs will also age prematurely. If you’re having trouble quitting, it’s probably time to give an electronic cigarette a shot. It’s a good way to work your way off of traditional cigarettes as it gets rid of almost all of the health problems associated with smoking.
- Improve your diet and exercise routine. It’s never too late to start with getting fit, and it can lead to a serious confidence and mood booster. It can also help you lose some of the dangerous fat buildups that can lead to late-in-life health problems, and it can considerably lengthen your lifespan.
- You should make sure you are drinking lots of water every day. It keeps your body running correctly and can make your hair, skin, and lips look fuller and healthier. A liter a day is a good place to start. Make sure you are drinking water all day, every day.
- Cut down on the sugary drinks like wine, beer, and sodas. It will help you control your weight and will prevent you from experiencing any of the other negative side effects that come with excessive consumption.
- Know your personal health history and let your own genetic history influence what sort of health decisions you make for yourself.
There’s no reason you can’t feel beautiful and confident as you age, as long as you are aging gracefully and healthfully. Make sure you are doing everything you can by starting right away.